Saturday, January 6, 2007

B 4 Somthin'

Considering my last post, you may think that I spend some time and effort rallying against the institutional church, well I don't.

Two reasons really. The most obvious is that to a certain degree, they work. With all their flaws, God has used and continues to use churches to occasionally change the eternal destiny of a soul.

The second reason is much more interesting (to me anyway) and I'm sure its just because I believe in it so strongly. That is, great men (people) - people of substance, are for something rarely are they just against something.

I would, for example, never spend an afternoon picketing an abortion clinic, but I would spend a weekend volunteering at Lifeline (an abortion alternative).

If we look to Christ as our example, I think the idea holds up. Three years of; providing the wine, healing the sick, saving the condemned adulterer, feeding the masses and one moment of tearing down the corrupt market that dishonored his fathers house.

So what am I for - how should I be worshipping and serving God. That is my question - my struggle - my journey. I have a small group of brothers on the same journey. I hope to record some of the answers our Lord gives us on this sparse little blog.

May the Lord bless and lead our Adventure.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey Steve! Good to have another post from you. Awsome thoughts, looking forward to being on this adventure with my brother. God Bless.

Sam said...

Great stuff my brother. I wrote about our meeting last week and your topic was one of the things I questioned. I know there is a purpose and a calling for these men of God, so where does that leave my thoughts? I don't have an answer but I'm searching. One day I'll tie up all these loose thoughts. Thanks for putting it so well and thanks for posting. Keep it up my friend!!!

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave said...

I've linked up to your blog and checked it out. Good thoughts here. This one 'specially got me. I'm trying to be honest with my experience in a house church so far and it seems more to me like an alcoholic trying to stay off the wagon. He goes to his meeting and vows to never touch another drop. I go to my HC meeting convinced of how destructive my old institutional church life was, ultimately vowing never to touch another "drop". Yet that step in itself does not bring recovery. Maybe this is a poor analogy but I do find this experience more defined by what I'm against rather than what I am for. It cut me to the core.